Summary of Qualifications
- Over 25 years of experience writing news articles, web content, reviews, and corporate manuals.
- Author of hundreds of news articles spanning a wide range of topics, including technology, consumer finance, sports, and music.
- Over five years of experience managing a highly respected website and social media presence focused on women’s basketball.
- Over 15 years of experience helping clients create multimedia projects to showcase creative works.
Freelance Writer, 4/96 – present
Write articles and technical documents on a wide variety of topics for major publications and private clients. Expertise: technology, sports betting, college and pro sports, entertainment, African American culture, and consumer finance.
Founding Editor, Hoopfeed.com, 4/09 – present
Manage a sports website that is considered one of the best sources of women’s basketball news by veteran broadcasters and legendary coaches. Write features and game recaps. Participate as a media voter for major awards, including Pac-12 Player of the Week, Pac-12 Player of the Year, and Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA Division I Championship.
- Served as the official pool reporter for the 2022 NCAA Women’s Basketball Final Four.
- Grew a targeted social media audience (@Hoopfeed) with followers that include nearly all NCAA Division I programs, WNBA coaches, and top players on every level.
- Broke stories that were later picked up by mainstream publications.
- Covered major events as a credentialed member of the press, including eight Final Fours, WNBA championships, and NBA All-Star events.
- Worked with the UK-based newspaper the Guardian to help cover women’s basketball during the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- Named a voter for major college women’s basketball awards: Naismith Hall of Fame annual awards; Werner Ladder Naismith Coach of the Year award; USBWA awards; preseason and postseason awards for the Pac-12, Big 12, and West Coast Conference.
- Appointed to the advisory committee member for the most prestigious award in women’s college basketball: the Margaret Wade Trophy.
Content and Social Media Consultant, Sport Tours International, 5/17- 5/20
Provided Sport Tours with a plan to increase the company’s social media outreach. Created a schedule of content across STI’s social media platforms. Wrote game previews, recaps, and features for STI’s NCAA Division I basketball tournaments in Las Vegas, Florida, and Puerto Rico. Helped STI strategize ways to continue reaching coaches after college sports halted in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Web Content Manager, Cingular Wireless (now AT&T), Atlanta, GA, 11/05 – 09/06
Wrote and edited content for documents used by customer service representatives to help customers resolve issues. Drove special assignment web projects from concept to execution. Developed content in adherence to company brand and style guidelines.
Freelance Web Consultant, 2/99 – 2013
Assisted clients in developing an online presence. Provided web design, email setup, newsletter creation, and maintenance.
- Web Content Writer, Allstate Insurance, Northbrook, IL (contractor)
- Web Project Manager, Paladin Creative Services, Chicago (contractor)
- Technical Editor, Newark Electronics, Chicago (contractor)
- Business & Technology Associate Producer, RealNetworks, Seattle (contractor)
- Money & Technology Producer, Seattleinsider.com/KIRO 7, Seattle
- Chief of Research, The Village Voice, New York City
- Washington, D.C. Correspondent, The Advocate magazine, Los Angeles
- News Reporter, The Washington Blade newspaper, Washington, D.C.
- A.B., Smith College, Northampton, MA. Major: Philosophy/Minor: Economics
- Technical Writing Certificate, California State University, Dominguez Hills